Wednesday 27 May 2015

Book Review - A Court of Thorns and Roses

A Court of Thorns and Roses
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Genres: Fantasy | New Adult
Release Date: 7th May 2015
Source: Review Copy - Bloomsbury
Rating:
When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin - one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.

As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae.

But with an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, Feyre must find a way to stop it..
or doom Tamlin - and his world - forever.
This book and/or review may be unsuitable for people under 17 years of age due its use of language, sexual content, drug and alcohol abuse and/or violence. Please bare this in mind before reading.

Sometimes, books just don't impress you. No matter your expectations, nor the authors talent, the story itself can just feel, flat, and to me, that is what ACOTAR felt like. Flat. Unimpressive. A little, meh. Don't get me wrong, Maas' talent and writing still sings to me in a way many other authors couldn't even begin to dream of doing, and her talent of crafting stories in a way that always keeps me additively reading is commendable, if not fabulous, and yet ACOTAR felt miles away from any of my few expectations, and that's not a good thing. As featured with Deep Blue and The Rain, ACOTAR will be reviewed in the only way feels right to me..

Feyre. You see Feyre, I'm not going to say I disliked you, because really, I didn't. There were many occasions in which I thought you were great, seriously, your strength and your courage, and your warrior-style from the beginning really gave me fabulous feelings, and I felt as though I could understand what is was you were going through in order to protect yourself, protect your family, and just how harsh and pressuring life had been on you. Ugh Feyre, it seriously saddens my heart to tell you that as your story went on, you.. bored me. You just seemed to lose your fight, to lose your passion and your courage, you lost your faith, and you just seemed to become a different a character, a character I just couldn't get behind. You went through a lot, I know, I get that, I felt as those changes, I just couldn't help but wish you'd kept some of your spark, some of what made you you, rather than lose yourself in dreams, parties, painting and romantic attachments with furry animals.

Speaking of furry animals, can I ask you something? Please, don't take this the wrong way, but do you really, actually, honestly love Tamlin? I didn't feel for him what you did, well, you definitely felt him didn't you darling, but that's not what I mean, you two just didn't seem to have this overwhelming, complete and utter love for one another. There was a lot of tension between you two, a lot of sexual tension, and yes, Tamlin was a little.. *whispers* on the hot side, but where was your spark, where was your romance that everyone else felt and appreciated and fell in love with, WHERE WAS TAMLIN'S PERSONALITY GIRL?!

Tell me, what were some of Tamlin's qualities that you fell for?

I'm still waiting..

Exactly, he didn't seem to have any attractive, redeeming qualities you would really want in a guy.

So he went around murdering tetchy creatures in your back garden, and he danced with you during the night while you were very very very drunk, oh, and he almost chewed off your damned neck while high on night time faery drugs, but what kind of personality did he have? There were things I appreciated about him mind, and about your, your loyalty to one another, your sort of almost cuteness towards one another, how much you want to protect your families and friends and the people closest to you, how much you're willing to sacrifice for those people, and what you're willing to do, it's commendable, it's great from a character point of view, yet he just struck me as a very moody, brooding, overbearing, possessive, old grump with serious issues. Honestly Feyre, I think you could have done better, much, much better, and sacrificing your life, leaving everything and everyone you love behind, for him, I do think that probably wasn't what I would have done..

I won't lie, your actual story and all the little details that were involved where really quite wonderful. Granted, getting answers from a member of Tamlin's staff was a little out of the blue and info-dumpy and uncomfortable, but the execution of almost everything else, from the tension, to the plot, to the twists and turns, to learning about the history, I was right there with you Feyre, it was so damn fantastical and amazing to learn the things I did with you, or from you. Maas just wrote your story perfectly, and even when I was so angry or unimpressed or genuinely wondering why you felt the need to get involved in problems that weren't yours to get involved in, how you were written, how you felt and the scenes you were in felt real, it's one of the few things I feel were expected to be beautiful and were in fact, beautiful. Your action scenes, especially once your plot picked up and actually came into action, oh they were fabulous, as were you, it was like you'd come into yourself again. Courage, strength, passion, logic, intelligence, quick-thinking, all qualities I adored about you, and these showed later in your story, and when the writing got involved, oh, so so gorgeous. Rich, delicate, honest and magical, that's how your story felt.

You know who and what I did love? Lucien. Oh I know, he was a sweetie wasn't he? Well, kind of sweetie, you two didn't exactly see eye-to-eye (get it?) most of the time, but there was just something about him, something about his loyalty and care for you, his friendship and unwavering affection for you, how much he knew you meant to Tamlin, how much you meant to him, how much you meant to one another, man, at one point, I actually thought you two would make a fabulous pairing. I know, I was waaaaaaaay off wasn't I, but that is the point. Lucien lit up your story with his background, his emotions, his attitude, his humour, his protectiveness, his genuine love for you and Tamlin and his people. Oh, if only I'd felt for you and Tamlin the feelings I felt for Lucien, you and your story may have impressed me so much more, SO MUCH more. When you see Lucien next, could you possibly put in  good word for me? I do so wish to give him a cuddle.

There were other people in your story that I can to like. Rhysand, maybe not him quite as much, I disliked his actions towards you horribly, especially how he did what he did to make Tamlin jealousy and ragey, it's pretty disgusting if I can be honest. Oh, and how he only saved you to become part of history, that's horrible, you know that right? Still, intentions and sensitivity and how he reminded me of Hades, he was definitely someone that interested me, and your family Feyre, YOUR FAMILY, do you remember them? The sisters, you care about and love so much, your Father who, lets be honest here, isn't worth the ground you walk on, I loved them, and you love them too, but please, spend some time with them next time, some positive time. Your family aspect was wonderful, but brushed over too much in favour of sexy-times with your fur-ball. Please Feyre, please don't forget your family for romance.

I'm really very interested in seeing where your story goes. You've been through a lot in the last few months, meeting Tamlin, being in faeryland, defeating scary queens and becoming, well, that's a lot to take in, and I can only imagine that you're going to go through an awful lot of development within this time period, and honestly, I really cannot wait. I pray for more Lucien, (please, don't tell him about my crush on him, he'll just tease and smirk at me, I can't take that) and I admit to being just a little sneakily interested in where your story with Rhys will go. Reckon it'll be something similar to Hades and Persephone, or have you not heard of Greek Mythology where your from? There's a lot of room for fantasticness in your story, and I am very interested and intrigued in seeing where goes from here, but my expectations are much lower, and I'm hoping, no, praying that you and I will become, at the very least, allies when we meet again. I'd love to actually like you a little more, if that's okay? Until next time Feyre, stay strong, stay badass, and do not let Tamlin push you around, you're better than that.

10 comments:

  1. Yay! Seems weird to be happy about such a negative review, but I was literally JUST talking about this yesterday with The Book Dame- and in relation to the SAME book! Sometimes the hype and excitement of seeing a book everywhere leads people to think they loved it when in fact they won't even remember it in a month. Glad to see you're not one of those people. I'll be giving A Court of Thorns and Roses a try next month, and we'll see if I'm one of those people, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my issue too Danni, I think there were good points, but even now, I struggle to remember what I liked and disliked that wan't Lucien, you know? I wish you luck when you try it hun!

      Delete
  2. YES. ALL HAIL AMANDA, GODDESS REVIEWER. Seriously though, you nailed my thoughts on this exactly. I don't know what it is about Maas' books, but for me, no matter how good they are, they always seem to fall a bit flat; and this one was no exception. I felt that the romance progressed from 0 to 100 so quickly that there wasn't enough time for me as a reader to invest myself into their relationship, you know? And I still don't quite know what she saw in Tamlin either. ;) I'm with you though in being really curious on where this is going. Thanks for sharing and fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow.. *blushes* Thank you Zoe! I confess to having better luck with ToG, but this just wasn't good for me. The romance was off, and Tamlin just wasn't enough for me - personality of a spoon you know? Such a shame..

      Delete
  3. Finally! This is seriously the most well rounded and informative review that I have read thus for for A Court of Thorns and Roses. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzi, I sort of just went with the flow you know? Glad it worked out well!

      Delete
  4. This is a perfect review! You said all the things I imagined saying to Feyre at some point or other during my read. I didn't fall for this book (or Tamlin) either but I'm curious to see where Maas will take the story next.
    I really liked Nesta, the eldest sister - I'm kind of hoping she and Rhys meet because I have a feeling sparks would fly like crazy. I hope Rhys and Feyre don't get involved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curious and intrigued I am indeed. Oh yes, I hadn't considered those two, that would be explosive!

      Delete
  5. AHHH I LOVED THIS. And I totally agree. WHY did she fall for Tamlin?! I see everyone swooning over him and I felt he had as much personality as a strawberry leaf. Like, come now. LUCIEN THO. He was adorable and I was kind of worried there'd be a triangle between him, Tamlin, and Feyre, but lucky it didn't go there...yet. *gulps* I liked how wild and scary the ending was, but all in all? Yeah, no. I prefer the Throne of Glass series. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, no personality = no feels for Tamlin. Such a shame, because Maas writes fabulous men usually! LUCIEN BABY. He was so cute, yes? I'm with you Cait, I definitely prefer Throne of Glass too. *joins you in ToG boat*

      Delete

We appreciate the time you take to leave a comment and do our very best to reply as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...