Saturday 10 May 2014

Book Review - The Winner's Curse

 The Winner's Curse
Author: Marie Rutkoski 
Series: The Winner's Trilogy #1 
Genres: Historical Fiction | Young Adult
Release Date: 4th March 2014
Publishers: Farrar Straus Giroux
No. Pages: 355
Source: Gifted
Rating: 
Buy From: Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes and Noble | Waterstones
Winning what you want may cost you everything you love

As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions.

One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction. Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It’s not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin.

But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined.

Set in a richly imagined new world, The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski is a story of deadly games where everything is at stake, and the gamble is whether you will keep your head or lose your heart.


 I've been sitting here for about 2 weeks trying to write this review all prim and proper, but I still can not put into words how much I loved this book. expect maybe this one gif


I heard about this book pretty late but it was the cover the attracted me at first, then after reading the summary I wasn't exactly too sure. However I did pick it up and decided to give it a go and well, I have not and will not regret my decision.


Characters

Kestrel : at first I thought she was just a spoilt little rich girl with too much time on her hands and too much money to spend. But as the book went on I realised how wrong I was. She was someone who even though she had lots of friends, just wanted someone to really talk to, something she thought she found in Arin. She is someone who even though she doesn't want to fallow in her fathers footsteps and join the army, would love nothing more to make him proud and live up to his expectations. She has such a kind heart and even though at times it seems to get taken advantaged of, she still holds her head up high and is a strong minded young women. In all honesty, I loved her. Very much.

Arin: oh Arin, what can I say about him without just going of in a dreamy daze? haha. Arin is, well Arin. A young man who has very hidden agendas, and whilst at times makes it look like he could be stringing poor Kestrel along, really cares about her despite his better judgements. He's rude at times, cocky and in a way arrogant but those are things that just make me love him more. He's so different to Kestrel its unreal, and no just because they are different races. He is mean and tough but also kind and gently. He a different person when he is around Kestrel and its not easy to fully describe so you'll have to just read the book. haha

My thoughts

as I can only speak for myself, I will tell you that I found the story lovely, I found the world building and story telling to be second to none and I love how easily the book flowed. The character were extremely well written and developed, and I actually believed the tension and passion between the two, something that doesn't happen often with me. In short I just loved everything about it and I'm deeply saddened that I have to wait so long for the next one. High society (or what ever you want to call this type of genre) was something I hadn't had a lot of experience with, the first one I can recall being These Broken Stars, I was blown away by that book as I was by this and if the rest of the books in this genre are like the two I'm really looking forward to reading some more.

Don't just take my word for it, go out and read it yourself. Maybe you will get caught by the bug like many of us and maybe you wont, you'll never know till you try :)

“You might not think of me as your friend,' Kestrel told Arin, 'but I think of you as mine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate the time you take to leave a comment and do our very best to reply as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...